Brian Maher a écrit :

I noticed this message from Glenn Nielsen recently on this mailing list:

It appears that hgomez submitted a bunch of code that allows you to configure a ping/pong mechanism that helps it detect hung tomcats. I'm very much interested in this code, but wonder if it could also detect an aborted apache process?

Here is a simple test I performed recently with my server configured like this: (Apache (1.3.x) <---(mod_jk)--> Tomcat 4.1). On all my apache requests, I set a hard_timeout() using mod_perl. It is pretty easy to see that this hard_timeout works fine by looking at apache's /server-status page. My next test was to see if this hard_timeout() worked for Tomcat. So, I wrote a simple JSP page as such:

<%
   while(1) {
      Thread.sleep(100000);
      System.out.println("hi\n");
  }
%>

When I request this page and tail my log file, I see "hi" printed over and over as I would expect to see. However, the disturbing part is that even after the hard_timeout() has expired, this thread is still executing (since I see a bunch of "hi\n" in my log file). I check apache's /server-status page and the process that was servicing the request is long gone.

Could this recently submitted ping/pong code also be used from the java side to detect when the Apache side is no longer servicing the request?

I'd be willing to help make this happen if someone could give me some guidance.

The timeout support help the native side detect a problem on the java side, for exemple a HUNG tomcat.

If the thread on java side is a long running task or a blocking task,
it should be handled by the servlet engine and sus some watchdog support
should be added in Tomcat.

In you're exemple I didn't know how the thread could be ever finished !!!