Hi,

I am currently researching a way to implement web-container-like functionality within a J2EE compliant webapp, that can run on theoretically any servlet container.

One way to do this, would be to embed parts of tomcat such that a number of self-managed web applications could be served through the servlet container already sourrounding the controlling webapp.

This would include instantiating a Context (perhaps instantiating a StandardContext would do the trick?) and have this serve servlets, jsp, etc. from sources defined by the code instantiating the context.

My question is this: Is it possible, and feasable, to instantiate a tomcat representation of a context, and have it serve servlets, compile and serve JSPs, etc.? This should work as continued processing for the existing HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse and HttpSession. The Context in question should function as a partial decoration of the existing Context.

Is it possible to implement a 'provider' for the DefaultServlet and JspServlet, such that the filesystem/webapp archive can be replaced with arbitary sources?

I'm not aware of the detailed differences between Tomcat 4.1 and 5.0, but either could be used.

Any input appreciated.

-dennis