That would be a nice foundation but I'd rather develop the portal in some kind of
development tool than edit all the xml files described in the jetspeed documentation ;-)

Maybe an XML Editor could be configured to know schemes for all the required xml
files and generate the jetspeed configuration as a first step.

I'd add a simple image manipulation tool to clip, scale and fit images into the application
and wrap it into an XHTML editor that knows about Portlets, for good measure.

Jetspeed seems to be the engine of choice, however. I've been looking at some perl
and php stuff lately but it all seems quite messy and fragile.

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Hi,
Well, there's Jetspeed (http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/site/) which
is a nice portal implementation running on top of tomcat.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

I'd like to write a WYSIWYG Portal/Weblog Server based on

Jakarta/Tomcat.

Is there something similar or anybody working on an easy portal

solution?

My preference would be to make it as easy to install as setting up a
database,
clicking a JavaWebStart link ... et voila.

Every further configuration, customization should be in an integrated
online
documentation and configuration. After all, it's supposed to be a

highly

interactive web application so it should be able to handle it's own
configuration :-)