Mark Roth wrote:
Hi Mark

Here's a little essay on the relationship between the JSR and PHP.
Feel free to forward it.

JSR 223 defines an API used to embed scripting engines in Java
applications.  As a special case, it defines a class of Servlets that
host scripting engines. The engines generate web content by executing
scripts.

One of the implementations uses the native open source PHP code and
the corresponding Servlet executes that code.  There is a PHP SAPI
whose callback functions are implemented using JNI calls into the
Servlet and Servlet Container.  The PHP scripts can also instantiate
Java Objects using the Web Application's ClassLoader and invoke the
public methods of the objects.  In cases where it makes sense, native
PHP syntax can be used to do enumerations/iterations and access
collections at indexes.

The spec can also be implemented (more easily, in fact) using any of
the many Java-based scripting engines.. Rhino, Jython, BeanShell,
Groovy, etc.

The high level summary is nice, but more detail is needed for this discussion.
What does it mean exactly ?
The RI for the JSR is with PHP ? Does the code work already ? Is it OSS ?
;)

The spec won't specify how  particular scripting languages call Java.
We assume that all of them can do it in their own fashion.  With all
of the Java-based scripting engines, this is a built-in feature.  To
do an implementation with PHP, we did it ourselves.

The JSR also does not deal specifically with native applications.  It
just so happens that one of the implementations uses the native PHP
sources to implement the Java API that the JSR does deal with.

The Java support in PHP4 is experimental and labeled as such.  It
contains a lot of good ideas, some of which we used,  but as it
stands, it probably isn't usable.

Rémy