Hello Bill and Remy

your log4j example at new doumentation works fine. Thanx!
My fault I use the Logger tag instead the category one.

But that we can't change the Logger config at server.xml is not nice.
The only chance is, declare a Lifecycle Listner or used the Log4J MBean
direct.

Regards
Peter

Bill Barker schrieb:

About logging:
- it is a mistake (nowadays) to define custom loggers in applications
(JBoss doesn't, and yet it's far more complex); of course, an equally
big mistake is to provide "logging" services in the Servlet API ;)

This is only a dream. In a hosting enviroment every customer will
logging different. We offer own logfiles with the <Logger> configuartion
in the context.xml.
This were broken, if your changes are kept.

My greatest problem is the administration of the log4j configuration.
Where - or better - how can I do this automatically. This question you
don't answer? Is there a discussion done about this problem?

Well, the discussion of administering the log4j configuration belongs on [EMAIL PROTECTED] However, I'm sure that the Tomcat 5.5 docs will likely have examples (and, yes, patches are always welcome :). Either that, or Ceki is going to be selling a lot of copies of his book ;-).

Your logger solution is maybe is well solution for a development or
company-intern-used tomcat installation but the UseCase "Webhosting"
have been ignored. If I must administrate every customer logger manually
this is very counterproductively.

Actually, with the JMX support in log4j, I would guess that Remy's changes will make life much easier for the Webhosting crowd. If there is interest (meaning patches :), then the admin webapp could even be extended to help with the configuration.

- the big problem which I want to solve here is that logs are going to
different places, which is wrong; now, all logs should go to
commons-logging (or directly to the actual logger that commons-logging
is wrapping)

What do you mean with "different places". If you man different places
the logs will be saved than can I say this is a normal behaviour. In
Germany there is a admin tool called "Confixx". This tool saves the logs
in the home directory of the user. Than the user can view and load his
logs with a normal ftp-client.

Best regards
Thorsten

-- Thorsten Kamann Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ICQ: 40746578 Yahoo: ThorQue

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through the
Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive information, such as
social security numbers, account numbers, personal identification numbers and
passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.

J2EE Systemarchitekt und Tomcat Experte

http://objektpark.de/
http://www.webapp.de/

Am Josephsschacht 72, 44879 Bochum, Deutschland
Telefon:  (49) 234 9413228
Mobil:    (49) 175 1660884
E-Mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]