Jess Holle wrote:
I'll play with this as I have time, but I'll be doing the same sort of thing with our own app first.

As I see it (and I could be offbase, of course, as I've not had time to code this), one just needs a pluggable SPI sort of interface responsible for:

  1. A singleton get-or-create MBeanServer method
         * Default to platform MBeanServer in 1.5, but allow use of
           mx4j or the like
  2. An export MBeanServer for remote ops method
         * Details, e.g. protocols, ports / port ranges, etc, to be
           controlled by XML tags, of course

Am I over-simplifying this?

It's the exact opposite. With JDK 1.5, we need no pluggable something, no nothing. So this is why I really want to do that instead of bothering with more dead code.

I'm ok with a special "JDK 1.4" package full of optional components being put together (assuming none of the new syntax gets used, of course), which could contain your listener and other JARs (like Xerces).

Rémy