My turn :)
Sorry, I won't help code it (well, maybe a little for the Java part); so I don't know if I have a say in any decision, but I though I should participate as well.

- it should be simpler than JK 1 or 2
- it should have a name which doesn't confuse folks :)
- Apache 2.x specific using APR (with the goal being the inclusion in the Apache distribution as a default module: no more compilation problems, etc); for other servers, I think we should keep the current JK
- it should try to optimize keepalive if possible for performance
- it should support quality of service (messages to notify that a webapp is being serviced on one node, etc)
- (nice to have) it should be possible to configure the cluster dynamically
- there should be a clear documentation for which connector to use (I'm not talking about specific needs, but general case: one server -> standalone HTTP/1.1, cluster -> mod_newthing)
- the configuration should be in Apache's config file, rather than some complex properties file
- it should have good defaults (I like good defaults :) )
- it should work well with other modules (I guess if somehow it is accepted into the Apache codebase, it will be required)
- I think the protocol should be an extension of AJP/1.3
- No JNI in this module IMO: I think it would be better to have another separate module dedicated to JNI (and trying to use, for example, the in memory protocol handler or similar techniques) if there's interest, rather than add complexity to this module, which has very different needs

Rémy