Henrique Faria wrote:

Hello!
Has anyone already developed a non http tomcat connector in java? We're
wondering if it is possible to implement connectors, for other
protocols, to work within tomcat infrastructure.

The answer is yes, it is possible - and IMO a very good idea.

The impl can benefit a lot from all tomcat infrastructure - buffers, ssl, etc. You can also easily hook the protocol implementation using standard servlets - which are well-known and easy to program with.

AFAIK Apache server also supports few non-http protocols - I think FTP, POP3, etc.

Costin
( I have a half working SMTP protocol implementation - I'll post it when it works )

For now, we're analyzing the existing http classes, and trying to
understand its functionality. The next step would be implement classes
like MyProtocolConnector, MyProtocolProcessor, MyProtocolRequest,
MyProtocolResponse for the new connector, so we could use a servlet
based layer, inside our middleware, to process different kinds of
transactions.
Is tomcat too much http driven for us to try it?