This email is a support-related question that did not get an answer from
the tomcat-user group.
I apologize for a support-related question on the dev group, but I hope
that the "experts :)" might be able to help, if there's some spare time
. . .

I'm a developer for a small hosting company and host Java-enabled sites
on a windows server.
We use IIS, jk2, and Tomcat to serve Java.

The problem we have is that every time the Tomcat server.xml is touched
(new site, new context, etc), we have to restart Tomcat, and that
affects every site we host.

We are committed to Tomcat and want to solve our problem without
switching to a different container.

First, can this issue be resolved?
Currently in Tomcat 4.x and/or Tomcat 5 the /admin tool doesn't seem to
be quite "production ready" for everyday use.
Are there any plans to significantly upgrade this?

Could we replace IIS with Apache (mod_jk2), in the hopes that there
might be a way to point Apache Virtual Hosts at Tomcat Contexts, instead
of Tomcat Virtual Hosts - although I'm not sure how this could even be
done.

Any help in this regard, (or suggestions for a different servlet
container . . .) would be greatly appreciated.

<http://www.embarcgroup.com/>
-
Matthew Mamet