Hola,

>I'm using JDK1.3 most of the time, and I think a lot of other people
and
>companies are still using it. I don't mind having the default
>distribution built for 1.4+ ( no xerces ), with instructions on how to
>get the additional jars for 1.3. But I think it would be very bad to
not
>be able to run in 1.3 - and I don't see any good reason to justify
>forcing the users to upgrade.

It's the same good reason as for every upgrade: so that you (as the
user) can use code that's simpler and more efficient because it doesn't
have to account for differences between JDKs.  This is not specific to
Tomcat, it's a more generic product development decision.  At some point
you want to drop support for an older version of X because the cost of
supporting it isn't worth the benefit.  I'm not saying we've reached
that point with JDK 1.3 yet, but the possibility must be reconsidered
periodically and/or every time we're debating the work for a major new
release branch.

>How about the other way around - stop support for the combined tomcat,
>and default to multi-user ( or multi-config ).
>
>I would be very happy to see the server layout change to support
>multiple configurations.
>
>Something like:
>
>/bin
>/lib - with manifest/properties file used to select what goes to
common,
>server, shared :-)
>
>/servers
>/servers/all
>/servers/minimal
>With conf/ and webapps/ under each server.

That's not a bad idea.  I wouldn't mind it.  It doesn't seem any worse
than the current $CATALINA_HOME/$CATALINA_BASE approach.

Yoav

and notify the sender.  Thank you.