When I install the tomcat server 5.0.27 as a service, it's not able to compile any .jsp page.
After some tests I found out, that in the file catalina.xml, the property tools.jar is set to the location="${java.home}/../lib/tools.jar" .
If you change the location to "${java.home}/lib/tools.jar" the pages compile without any problem.
It would be nice if one of the developers can have a look at this issue and apply a patch.

regards

Jens