Rainer Jung wrote:
Concerning session stickyness: is the following scenario possible with your mod_proxy, at least in the future?e

We support a critical high load application which is running in a two cell environment.

We replicate via TC cluster locally inside each cell (2 TCs) but not over the boundaries of the cells (cluster would be to big and for a cell outage it would be acceptable to loose sessions). So a cell is equal to a replication domain resp. to a TC cluster. Let's say TCs with jvmRoute A1, A2, B1, B2, where A and B are the cells.

Also we use session stickyness on multiple Apache/mod_jk to keep hopping of requests from primary to secondary TCs low. Any apache needs to send requests sticky to the correct TC instance. Both TC clusters provide the same webapps.

Now, if TC A1 is going down for maintenance (or breaks), and apache receives a request with jvmRoute A1, it should send the request to another member of the same cluster, in this case A2 and not to B1 or B2. Could this be done with mod_proxy?

I did some project patches for mod_jk to make this happen (adding an attribute "domain" to the balanced_workers and enhancing get_most_suitable_worker in the lb worker.

Think that the routeRedirect should be sufficient enough. If the particular node is marked *disabled* then the requests will be redirected to that node. So you will have to manually edit your 'domains', meaning: Node A1 -> routeRedirect A2, etc...

This scenario is already supported inside proxy_balancer and jk2.

MT.