Hi,

>OK, but still you will need to update that, and be limited
>to numbers only, cause the installer will break in case of
>strings.
>I agree that the build.xml is vrong place to maintain versions.
>
>Perhaps to add some property file that will be accessible from
>catalina too and give the 'true' version number even from
>command line.

Can the installer be modified to accept a version string?  The version
usually has periods in it, making it a string and not a number.  I can
also see cases where we'd want -alpha, -beta, -rc as part of the
version.  So I don't like the installer limitation ;)  But I assume
you've looked at the issue and it's not feasible to get around it, so
I/we will just have to live with it.

What I don't understand is why we can't leave the base defaults in
build.xml as they are and just modify them in build.properties (a
private non-CVS file obviously) when I cut a release?  Why must I update
build.xml each time?

Yoav

and notify the sender.  Thank you.