It sounds like maybe there is some confusion between environment variables and system properties.

java.io.tempdir is a system property which presumably means it can be set on the Java command line using -Djava.io.tempdir="foo"

This is different then anything getenv() would return since those would be environment variables. Some of which are reflected as differently named system properties. For example, I think java.io.tempdir defaults to the TEMP environment variable under Windows and perhaps TMP under Unix or something like that. I'd have to drill into javadocs to be sure.

-Paul

Michael McGrady wrote:

I don't know if this is helpful or not, Martin, but if you attempt System.getenv("java.io.tempdir") [which is deprecated], you get as part of the error message
"getenv no longer supported, use properties and -D instead: java.io.tempdir". Is that helpful? Does the -D there mean as in -Djava.io.tempdir?

Michael

Martin Gainty wrote:

Good Afternoon Michael
Perusing the Manual for Jspc at
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:pfbfEPvvvHUJ:www.gefionsoftware.com/Lit

eWebServer/lws-jsp/ReferenceManual.pdf+TOMCAT+java.io.tempDir+-Djava.io.temp

Dir&hl=en
formal syntax for the JSPC command
jspc [options] -webapp web-app-root-dir
Where option
-d output-dir specifies
The -d output-dir specification is the directory specified by the
java.io.tempdir system property
I see that there are 2 ways to specify java.io.tempdir System Property
Anyone else
The directory specified by the java.io.tempdirsystem property The directory
specified by the java.io.tempdirsystem property The directory specified by
the java.io.tempdirsystem property The directory specified by the
java.io.tempdir???
Martin