Mladen Turk wrote:
Costin Manolache wrote:

Mladen Turk wrote:

Costin, can you elabborate the purpose of the patch? Perhaps I've missed few discussions.

There are few goals:
- allow tomcat components ( connector, valves, etc ) to be added/removed/upgraded dynamically, at runtime - without requiring a full restart.
- cleanup the startup code - the split startup package, lots of introspection and dependencies ( commons-logging, jmx needed in CLASSPATH )
- maybe improve the class loading - for example WebappClassLoader use of the jar index, the code is a bit complex, etc
- make it easier to integrate tomcat in apps like jboss or eclipse - which both use similar class loaders and module mechanisms ( jbossmx and osgi ).

One extra benefit may be on allowing more flexibility in the common/shared/webapp hierarchy - if WebappClassLoader extends the loader, it will be easier to have webapps using different versions of shared libraries ( right now you need to place shared libs in shared or common, and you can't have more than a version ).

I've been trying to do this for a very long time - there is some code in 3.3 ( interceptors can be loaded/unloaded from trusted webapps ), but using an m-let-like classloader is a better solution than what was there.

What about commons-deamon?

What about it :-) ?

Daemon is a different level - it's about launching a resident process (or service in windows ). No connection with how the process is loading
its classes.