Paulsen, Jay M wrote:
I apologize for the cross post, but I didn't receive any responses from
the user list so I thought I'd try here.

Don't apologize :). I saw you post, but just didn't catch the time to answer.

Is there a better way to handle this or is this an acceptable change? I'd like to fix it with an Apache source code change as a last resort if possible.

Not right now. I agree that server_busy would better explain the status of the JK in that case. The problem is that it can be either server_error or server_busy. Discovering something like that is planned for the next release of mod_jk (1.2.10).

Regards,
Mladen.