Peter Lin <woolfel <at> gmail.com> writes:

> right it is available in JDK5, but not everyone can use jdk5 :(
>
> I know plenty of people who are still using jdk1.3.1 and plenty are
> just moving to jdk1.4.2 now.
>
> many of the features are available in jdk5, but I believe what mladen
> is working on is beyond what jdk5 provides. I've only looked at some
> of the new features in jdk5. I guess i could target jdk5, but it would
> be nice to have a solution that can work with jdk1.4.2.
>
> peter

if it were only a matter of which version of jdk one uses, i'd say that you were
proposing a solution that would have a limited lifetime. [as an aside -
monitoring features could be a strong motivation for people to upgrade, which
would be a good thing ;-) ]

but having a solution independent of any one VM (sun/ibm/whoever) or version is
the best.

i do have a cold, but that is no excuse for being too fast of fingers and too
slow  of brain.
;-)

i've been lurking the list for a while now and just itching to find some place
where i might be able to help. so if you find you could use a little help,
please drop me a note.