Jason Hunter wrote:

nor see why we need an exception for such a such a small amount of code.

You need an exception because (a) the code was included from a third party codebase and (b) a lot of research and testing went into compiling the map used by the mapper.

I can easily add an @author tag for you in the relevant files, but the comment currently creates a legal doubt.

As I wrote in my email and for the archived record, I want the classes to have the recognition that is expected when Apache includes code from a third party library that's under a license that requires attribution (just like Apache's).

The files says "copyright ASF" - but it seems that's not completely accurate ( I assume someone mistakenly removed your "Copyright Jason Hunder" ? ).

As an author, you should be able to keep any notice that you consider apropriate. If you didn't explicitely assign the coypright to ASF ( or to Sun ), than I don't think it would be right for anyone to remove your name or attribution.

If you did assign the rights to ASF - then as you know anything can be removed or changed by the new owner, including @author tags or any mention of previous author ( just make sure your name does gets into whatever obscure file lists all people who contributed something ) :-)

Note: Many companies and individuals donated more than these 10 lines of code,

Yes, and I too donated plenty of code to the Tomcat codebase. But these classes I donated (to Sun at the time) with attribution because they were from a separate, pre-existing codebase with a life of its own.

If you write a book and include a paragraph from someone else's book with permission, you mention it and you point at the source of the original work. You don't just say, "Written by author X" you say, "Written by author X as part of book Y, published by Z." That's why the attribution I put on those classes includes the who, what, and where. I see it as the ethical thing to do.

I fully agree. Doesn't matter how small a contribution is ( or looks at some later time ), keeping the reference to the author and whatever else the author wants to include is the right thing to do ( if the code is accepted and used ).

Too bad what's ethical doesn't matter that much, only copyrights and IP ownership :-)