Remy Maucherat wrote:
Costin Manolache wrote:

Maybe:

* @author Jason Hunter, as part of the book "Java Servlet Programming"
* (O'Reilly). See <a href="http://www.servlets.com/book";>
* http://www.servlets.com/book</a> for more information.

?

I think it is fair to respect the author wish for attribution.

Given that the board recomends against @author tags and they may be someday removed, it doesn't matter that much...

I am all in favor of giving proper attribution (author tags), but -1 on anything which restricts the ASF's copyright on the code (like advertising clauses in this case).

As a result, I have to agree with all that pointed out that the code should be rewritten (in this case, the encoding list must be reconstructed from scratch).

Rémy

There is no "advertising clause" in this. He made it clear that the code is donated to ASF, under ASF license. Mentioning that the author developed the code while working on a book or while being paid by a company can't be that bad.

I don't understand why ASF is so advertising-fobic when it comes to authors or companies that donate code or employee time to ASF, but until recently strictly required advertisment for the code owner ( ASF ) not only in the code, but also on the web site.