What about:
- add this information to the bug report
- send a patch to the FAQ or edit a wiki page ( well, the tc wiki is not very used, but probably google will find this if anyone has a similar problem ). Or post it in your weblog/site/etc for google to find.

It should be obvious changing the default configuration only to deal with this case won't happen. If a computer can't locate itself by name - you'll have a lot of other problems.

Costin

( BTW - if you plan to participate in any open source project - be prepared for a lot of hurt feelings and negative comments, if you can't handle it, stay out. It happens to all of us. Track the problem, send a patch and friendly reminders if it gets ignored - and be prepared to accept a 'no' )

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
After some playing around I think I've tracked down what the fix is, and
I'd like to throw an idea out as to what could be happening.

First the fix. The fix is to explicitly state in the AJP13 connector
that the connector should ONLY bind to the loopback address (i.e. add
address="127.0.0.1"). Maybe this should be made the default because;

a) it's a fix to the issue.
and
b) it also enhances security.

Those people who are using AJP13 between machines should have the
knowlege to re-configure the connector to allow connections between
different machines.

Now the suggestion as to why this is happening.

My machine is behind a firewall, and therefore has non-routable IP
addresses (192.168.x.x). If you lookup the full hostname (a.b.c.d) on
the machine the hosts file resolves it to the private IP, if you look
it up using DNS it resolves to the public IP address of the firewall.
If you lookup the machine name only (a) from on the machine or anywhere
else it resolves via DNS to the public IP of the firewall.

From what I can tell the AJP13 connector looks up the hostname only,
(which resolves it to the public IP address), then tries to connect to
the AJP13 port on the public IP address, and because the firewall
blocks this traffic, does not connect, and then gives up.

To back this up I have put the hostname on it's own into the hosts file
(i.e. a resolves to the private IP), and everything worked again.

Before everyone shouts "you've got a strange config, it's your problem",
I'd like to re-iterate that this issue can be avoided in many ways, and
my personal beleif is that the order of preference of fixes would be;

1) Add the address="127.0.0.1" to the default server.xml (which also has
the side effect of increasing security).
2) If no address is specified then make the shutdown system start by
trying to connect to localhost as opposed to what seems to be the
current behaviour of attempting to resolve to an external address
first.
3) Require everyone to have the short hostname configured to resolve to
their local IP.

The reasons for this ordering is that 1 is the least effort by the
fewest people, 2 is more effort but by a small group, 3 has a potential
impact on all users and no matter where you document it will still be
missed by those who beleive in unpack and run.

Regards,

Al.