Jan Luehe wrote:

Remy Maucherat wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

luehe       2005/02/18 11:17:57

Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm
                      DataSourceRealm.java JAASCallbackHandler.java
                      JAASMemoryLoginModule.java JDBCRealm.java
                      JNDIRealm.java RealmBase.java
                      UserDatabaseRealm.java
Log:
More logging cleanup

I disagree with these changes: all these logs are application specific, which is why I direct them to the application category.

Can you explain why it is bad ?

I think the boundaries between container and application specific logs
has been pretty blurred, and we've been using the two inconsistently in
the past.

In my interpretation, any log messages issued by ServletContext.log()
should be directed to container.getLogger(), but any container
generated log messages should be directed to LogFactory.getLog().

Where do you see the line? This has been something that has confused
me in the past.

The thing has been blurred in 5.0. In 4.1, loggers were associated with containers (ex: a context). All logging for the container (including all subcomponents such as realm, manager, etc) would go to it. I liked that better.

I reintroduced that in 5.5 by adding a per container category (with nesting).

Rémy