Bill Barker wrote:

You just need to provide the methods (if you wanted to code against
Catalina, you'd just create a LifecycleListener :). This is a hook into
commons-modeler, so you technically could use a plain old JavaBean.
Otherwise, DynamicMBeans probably work best (or, at least give you the most
control).

I have gotten used to using my own subclasses to StandardMBean. This allows me to lay out the "static" portion of my MBean with an interface and extend it as necessary -- adding dynamic and open MBean behaviors as necessary in my own classes.

Java 1.5's APT turns out to make automated generation of MBean descriptions, operation parameter names, impacts, etc, from MBean interface Javadoc, formal parmeter names, annotations, etc, quite simple. A little more elbow grease and the descriptions are localized (based on the server's locale).

--
Jess Holle