----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 11:06 AM
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/servlets
DefaultServlet.java

>Bill Barker wrote:
>> This should be 'org.apache.catalina.sendfile' (or, if you prefer,
>> 'org.apache.tomcat.sendfile').  Otherwise, you'll get BZ reports like:
>> <whine>
>> In my application Filter I do
>>   request.setAttribute("sendfile.filename", new MySendFileName());
>> and my application breaks on 5.5.10.  It worked fine on 5.5.9.
>> </whine>
>
>Well, I'll add a ckeck for the token to avoid this. It's completely
>broken anyway right now (Mladen says it can be fixed), so there's a
>chance that this feature will be scrapped.

I remember reading a while back on [EMAIL PROTECTED] that there were some
problems
with sendfile on Windows.  I don't remember the details, and I don't follow
[EMAIL PROTECTED] to know if they have been fixed.

>Passing attributes to the lower layer is harmless (and I don't quite
>like huge names, but I can change them if you want to).

I don't care if you pass all attributes to the Coyote Request.  It might
even be A Good Thing.  It's just that if we follow the spec recommendation
in section 4.2, we can say that the 'org.apache.catalina' attribute name
space is reserved for Tomcat internal attributes.  Reserving the 'sendfile'
namespace for Tomcat internals is rather arbitrary, and more likely to break
webapps.

>Rémy

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the
intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and
CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or
distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this communication
in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then delete all copies of
this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through
the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive information,
such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal identification
numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.