Bill Barker wrote:
The biggest problem in JNI ( and probably - in Java playing nice with other languages and the rest of the platform ) is the objects and buffers moving around almost randomly. Yes, it may improve a bit the garbage collection speed - so people can create millions of garbage objects without thinking about it, unlike most other languages that require you to think when allocating objects - but it is the kind of optimization that has disastrous consequences on the rest of the systems. Luckily gcj and kaffe and mono don't do this crazy thing.
Direct buffers is one band-aid that should be used whenever possible.

Fortunately, this is Remy's problem ;-).

From what I can tell, it works well enough, so I'm doing ok ;) I assume it could be faster with a native friendly behavior at the VM level, of course.

Now that it doesn't just crash, I'll add AJP on APR to the build, and do the same enable-if-APR-is-present as with HTTP. Performance seems relatively decent (compared to regular AJP). I'll see if I can eventually improve things by using direct buffers.

Rémy