I am trying to understand any disadvantages of using Tomcat directly,
without going through Apache. I've read the points listed in the HOWTO,
but by in large they don't apply. We will have very little static data,
mostly consisting of GIFs. We are starting from scratch, so we have no
investment in pre-existing code for Apache. We'll look at the issues as
far as configurability, but if Tomcat suits our needs, then that becomes
moot.

The other issue listed is robustness. The way I look at it, though, is
that in either case, Tomcat will be serving up all of our pages, so if
it fails on its own or fails as a plugin to Apache, the site is still
down. No real advantage here. That is unless Apache exercises a
different pathway in the code than using it directly as the server. Then
it might be that Tomcat's webserver code is buggier, lest tested and
more apt to crap out. Is this the case?

The other issues I'm wondering about are security bound. Mainly, will
SSL and the declarative security model of servlets work equally well in
both cases?

Thanks for the help.

--Tim