From: James Cribb [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 3:57 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: jars in WEB-INF/lib

| From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
| To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Subject: jars in WEB-INF/lib
|

| For JASPER to compile JSPs is it enough to simply have my
| jars in the lib directory. These are implicitly known to the
| classloader right?
|
| ie. I do not have to have these jars in my CLASSPATH right?

Correct.  Also, if jars are in WEB-INF/lib and NOT in CLASSPATH, and the
context has the "reloadable=true" attribute set in server.xml, Tomcat
will
automatically reload the jars if they change.  This means you don't have
keep restarting Tomcat while you're developing your jars -- very useful.
The secret is that you need different CLASSPATHs for compiling your java
files and for running Tomcat.  It took me two months to discover this,
it is
so poorly documented, I thought I'd better share it.