Scott,

Had the same problem 2 hours ago.  You need to rebuild "apache" to handle
DSO support.

>From Apache's README.configure:

 Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) support
 -----------------------------------

 Apache 1.3 supports building modules as shared objects on all major Unix
 platforms (see section "Supported Platforms" in document
 htdocs/manual/dso.html for details).  APACI has a nice way of enabling the
 building of DSO-based modules and automatically installing them:

 $ ./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache \
          --enable-module=rewrite \
          --enable-shared=rewrite
 $ make
 $ make install

 This builds and installs Apache with the default configuration except that
 it adds the mod_rewrite module and automatically builds and installs it as a
 DSO, so it is optionally available for loading under runtime.  To make your
 life even more easy APACI additionally inserts a corresponding `LoadModule'
 line into the httpd.conf file in the installation phase.

Skip mod_jserv (obsolete) if you can and go with mod_jk.
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/mod_jk-howto.html

Good luck,

 --Bryan

According to Scott Liu: