Is this the thin driver or the one that requires OCI/client install.

I have been successfully running the thin drivers against 8.1.6 for some
time now (jdk 1.1.8)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Travis Low
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 03:43 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Fwd:Re[2]: mod_jk and JDBC?

It's hard to tell from that stack trace.  It's clearly barfing inside
the oracle driver, not in tomcat.  But I think if you set the system
property "JdbcTrace=true", then you will see more detailed
information.  You might need to call "OracleLog.initialize()" first --
I'm not sure if it's done automatically or not.  Sorry I can't be of
more help.

Robert Dana wrote:

> [...]
at
> oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java, Compiled Code)
at
> java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java, Compiled Code) at
> java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java, Compiled Code) at
> ReadFromCarmen.doGet(ReadFromCarmen.java, Compiled Code) at
> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java, Compiled Code) at
> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java, Compiled Code) at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java,
Compiled
> Code) at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java, Compiled Code) at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java,
Compiled
> Code) at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java,
> Compiled Code) at
> org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java,
Compiled
> Code) at

(Ajp
> 12ConnectionHandler.java, Compiled
> Code) at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java,
> Compiled Code) at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java,
Compiled
> Code) at
> java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java, Compiled Code)

> Subject:    Re: mod_jk and JDBC?
> Author: Travis Low <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date:       12/5/00 11:23 AM
>
> Would you please post the stack trace for the exception?

> Robert Dana wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to upgrade from Tomcat 3.1 and mod_jserv to Tomcat 3.2 and
mod_jk.
> > Everything seemed to go just fine with the installation, and I am able
to run
> > JSPs and servlets without any problems.  With one BIG exception: the
upgrade
> has
> > left me without the capacity to establish JDBC connections.  The details
of my
> > environment are as follows:
> >
> > RedHat Linux 6.2
> > Apache 1.3.9
> > mod_jk built from the Jakarta-tomcat-3.2-src distribution
> > Oracle 8.0.5
> >
> > To illustrate the problem, I wrote a simple servlet to test if JDBC
works.  I
> > also wrote this as a Java program, which runs from the command line
without a
> > problem.  I know, therefore, that my database is responding normally to
JDBC
> [...]
> > import javax.servlet.*;
> > import javax.servlet.http.*;
> >
> > public class ReadFromCarmen extends HttpServlet
> > {
> >    public void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
> >       throws ServletException, IOException
> >   {
> >        res.setContentType("text/html");
> >        PrintWriter out = res.getWriter();
> >
> >        // The driver to load
> >        String driver_class = "oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver";
> >
> >        // The query we will execute
> >        String query = "select sysdate from dual";
> >
> >        try
> >        {
> >             // Load the JDBC driver
> >             Class.forName(driver_class);
> >
> >             out.println("loaded...<BR>");         // servlet works up to
this
> > point
> >
> >             // Connect to the database
> >             // !! actual server name has been removed just for this
email !!
> >             Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection
> >                 ("jdbc:oracle:thin:@xxxx:1521:ora8",
> >                  "scott", "tiger");
> >
> >             out.println("connected...<BR>");   // this never makes it to
the
> > browser
> >
> >             // Create a statement
> >             Statement stmt = conn.createStatement();
> >
> >             out.println("created statement...<BR>");
> >
> >             // Execute the query
> >             ResultSet rset = stmt.executeQuery(query);
> >
> >             out.println("executed query...<BR>");
> >
> >             // Dump the result
> >             while (rset.next ())
> >
> >             out.println(rset.getString(1));
> >
> >       }
> >       catch (ClassNotFoundException e)
> >       {
> >             out.println("Trouble loading JDBC driver...\n" +
e.getMessage());
> >       }
> >       catch (SQLException e)
> >       {
> >             out.println("SQL Trouble...\n " + e.getMessage());
> >       }
> >   }
> > }

> > This e-mail and any attached files are confidential.  If you feel you
have
> received the transmission in error, please immediately notify the system
> manager at ORC Macro, at e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] or by  phone at
> (301)572-0911.  The entire contents of this transmission were  scanned
during
> the sending process using McAfee Anti-Virus software.  Macro assumes no
> responsibility or liability for undetected viruses.  All  recipients are
> encouraged to further scan the message/files with their  product of choice
prior
> to use.  Any viruses detected should be reported  as noted above.  Thank
you.

> -- Travis Low
>    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>    <http://dawnstar.org/travis>

> This email message and any attached files have been swept by McAfee
Anti-Virus