We ended up writing our own ContextInterceptor which looked up servlet named
"jsp" and configured it to use jikes:

   public void contextInit(Context ctx)
      throws TomcatException
   {
      if(ctx.getDebug() > 0) {
         ctx.log("JikesContextInterceptor - init  " + ctx.getPath() + " " +
ctx.getDocBase());
      }
      ServletWrapper wrapper = ctx.getServletByName("jsp");
      if(wrapper != null) {
         wrapper.addInitParam("jspCompilerPlugin",
"org.apache.jasper.compiler.JikesJavaCompiler");
      }
      else {
         ctx.log("JikesContextInterceptor - no servlet named \"jsp\": " +
ctx.getPath() + " " + ctx.getDocBase());
      }
   }

and added this class *after* WebXmlReader loading in server.xml.

Not the cleanest way, but we didn't want to put TomCat specific code in all
our web.xmls.

-arun