From: Neil Aggarwal [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2000 10:44 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to password-protect a servlet?

Hello:

I am using Apache 1.3.12 with Tomcat 3.1 and I wanted to
password protect a servlet running on Tomcat with the
Apache password mechanism.

In my httpd.conf file, I placed the following lines:
<LocationMatch /videosearch/servlet/AdminServlet>
AuthName "VideoSearch Admin"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/conf/vidadmin.password
require valid-user
</LocationMatch>

But, it did not ask me for a password. But, if I change the location
match to:
<LocationMatch /test>
AuthName "VideoSearch Admin"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/conf/vidadmin.password
require valid-user
</LocationMatch>

(The only thing I changed is the location to a directory called
test)

Everything works fine in this case.

Is Tomcat intercepting the URL before apache has a chance to
check if it needs to ask for a password?

Is there a way to use Apache's authentication for URLs that
point to Tomcat?

If not, does Tomcat have authentication capabilities?

Thanks,
        Neil.

--
Neil Aggarwal