Hi All,
I am running Tomcat 3.1 in stand-alone mode on AIX 4.3.3 using
IBM JDK1.2. My servlets connect to an Oracle database and
forward to a jsp to display the results. Of late I have had
flaky behaviour from this operation.

Problem 1.
Every now and this request causes a SIGSEGV and core dump.
========= BEGIN excerpt from javacore... ==============
SIGSEGV received at 2 in . Processing terminated.
    "Thread-56" (TID:0x800323b0, sys_thread_t:0x308ec430, state:R, native
ID:0xc41) prio=5
        at java.io.BufferedWriter.<init>(BufferedWriter.java:96)
        at java.io.BufferedWriter.<init>(BufferedWriter.java:79)
        at java.io.PrintWriter.<init>(PrintWriter.java:112)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.unknownException(JspServlet.java:268)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:377)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java(Compiled
Cod
e))
        at
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectio
nHandler.java:160)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:338)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:481)

         ----- Native Stack -----
        unavailable - iar 2 not in text area
J2RE 1.2.2 IBM build ca122-19991217

========= End excerpt from javacore ... ===========

Problem 2.
This request takes too long. I click the stop button on the
Netscape browser and it just sits there waiting. I check on
the server and 'netstat -a | grep <port>' reveals a connection
in LISTEN status and another in CLOSE_WAIT status. However,
from this point on no other connection from any client works.
(It takes inordinately long. I waited ten minutes with no
result other than CPU going to 100% on the client side.)
I have to re-start the server before I can do anything else.

This is really bugging me. Please help.

RK