I never tried to run tomcat as a service, but the same thing happened to me
before. So I hope the following will help:

I had a servlet class which also has a main() function for dos-console testing.
I found that I have to use different jdbc driver to open the same Access
datasource. The reason, as I later found out, you have to setup the classpath
correctly in both cases so that tomcat can find the proper driver.

I suspect this could be the reason of your problem. As I understand, the
environment variables can be seen by a service can be different from those by a
regular windows program. The reason behind that involves more of the Windows OS
system knowledge. But I suggest you try to print out the necessary class path or
other related environment variables in both cases.

Hope it helps.

Ma, Yanbin

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          Vinod        |
|        |          <Vinod@essemm|
|        |          .co.in>      |
|        |                       |
|        |          01/03/01     |
|        |          06:47 AM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          tomcat-user  |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                           |
  |       To:                                                                 |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Yanbin Ma/SYS/NYTIMES)                                |
  |       Subject:     Problem with Tomcat as NT service                      |

Hi,
    I have jakarta-tomcat-3.2 running on Win NT4 and IIS. I have used
jk_nt_service.exe to make tomcat as NT service and followed the steps as it
is in the documentation. After that I have started the service, when I run a
small jdbc example I got the sql exception 'No suitable jdbc driver found'.
The same program runs fine when I start tomcat manually. Please provide
solution.

Thanx n Regards,
Vinod