Generic Servlets can be generated quite easily.  Here is a
stubbed out class:

package com.example;

import javax.servlet.*;

public class MyServlet extends Servlet
{
        public MyServlet
        {

        }

    // The init() method gets called when the Servlet is loaded
    public void init(ServletConfig config)
    throws ServletException
    {
        try {
            //..
        } catch (IllegalArgumentException e)
        {
            System.out.println("Exception " + e.getClass().getName()
                                         + "(" + e.getMessage() + ") "
                                         + "caught in MyServlet.init()
method");
            e.printStackTrace();
        }
    }

    // below are the methods that a Servlet must implement
    // and may be of use
    public void service(ServletRequest req, ServletResponse res)
    throws ServletException, IOException
    { }

    public ServletConfig getServletConfig()
    {
        //..
    }

    public String getServletInfo()
    {
        //..
    }

    public void destroy()
    {

    }
}

The way I use this servlet is by adding the following to my web.xml file:

    <servlet>
        <!-- name to identify the servlet by -->
        <servlet-name>
                MyServlet
        </servlet-name>
        <!-- full class path to servlet -->
        <servlet-class>
                com.example.MyServlet
        </servlet-class>
        <!-- The order to startup the servlet in -->
        <load-on-startup>
              0
        </load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

This starts the servlet on server startup.

I can't think of any references that aren't specific to HttpServlet off the
top of my head but I'll take a look through my favorites and see if I find
anything.

---
Michael Wentzel
Software Developer
<A HREF="http://www.aswethink.com">Software As We Think</A>
<A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">Michael Wentzel</A>