Blake Binkley
Bill, you have just pointed at an Issue I didn't even relize I had....
(although mine works....)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Bill Kocik
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 10:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can't get past the documentation...

> Tomcat configuration is based on server.xml, which defines a lot of
> things that have to be then defined, mirror-like, over in httpd.conf for
> apache. So the easy way to get things working is to use the automatically
> created file tomcat-apache.conf-auto.

> However, this is not going to work for everyone. For example, my
> apache modules are not found in the default location. So for me, I
> need to use my own config file based on a renamed tomcat-apache.conf-auto.

Okay. I started down that path (making a copy and customizing
it), but quickly discovered that the contents of the config file
were beyond me.

> > The HOWTO suggests using mod_jk instead of mod_jserv, and then
> > goes on to use mod_jserv in all of it's configuration file examples.
Which
> > am I supposed to use?
>
> The Howto you are talking about is not current. However, some people
> stll need that jserv info.

The Tomcat-Apache HOWTO is not current? It ships with the source
and the binary distributions, it's dated 10-05-2000, and it's not
even finished...it refers to itself as "a work in progress". Is
there a more current one out there somewhere?

>  > And if I use mod_jk, how do I construct the config
> > file, since the one Tomcat writes at startup is JServ-centric?
>
> No, that's wrong. the conf-auto file output is for mod_jk.so.

Yeah? Here are the first eight lines from the auto-generated
config file:

LoadModule jserv_module libexec/mod_jserv.so
ApJServManual on
ApJServDefaultProtocol ajpv12
ApJServSecretKey DISABLED
ApJServMountCopy on
ApJServLogLevel notice

ApJServDefaultPort 8007

Looks an awful lot like JServ. Lot of "ApJServMount" stuff in
there, too. In fact, it doesn't mention mod_jk.so anywhere at
all.

> You need to follow the directions in the mod_jk howto. The directions
> assume you know a little about both apache and tomcat standalone
> configuration first before attempting to connect the two.

Well, I've set up more Apache servers than I care to remember,
but this is my first Tomcat attempt. However I did go through the
"Minimalist" guide and managed to get it working in stand-alone
mode. I guess I'll have to continue to try to find current,
relevant documentation. I'll try the mod_jk howto for starters.

Thanks for your response.

--
Bill Kocik
Taos - Santa Clara, CA

Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.