Hi William,

Tomcat *can* share binaries across multiple running instances.
However, as I found the docs a bit confusing when I tried to
get this working, here's how to do it:

create the following directory structure for each instance (eg under
each user's home directory if you want an instance per user):

somedirname
  + conf
     + server.xml
  + work

Start tomcat with the -f option, specifying the appropriate server.xml:

$TOMCAT_HOME/bin/tomcat.sh start -f /somedirname/conf/server.xml

I use a single <context> tag with an absolute docBase
in the server.xml to indicate where the webapp's files are,
but I guess you could create a webapps directory as a sibling
to the "conf" directory to hold webapps. I guess that you can
also point multiple instances to the same docBase - but
haven't tried it.

Cheers,

Simon