Hi Rainer,

We did not use mod_jk.so, Tomcat can use the "older" mod_jserv.so without
problem, you'll only be limited by the fact that you can't use the ajpv12
protocol instead of the newer ajpv13 protocol.

I tried to compile mod_jk.so but I could not because it seems to use some
JNI which uses the IBM headers file, some declaration confuses the GCC
compiler in these header files which are targeted to the IBM compiler.

You will obtain the source of the mod_jserv.so library with the source
of Tomcat 3.1.1.  If you apply the "trick" I explained (the small export
file you have to manually create), then you will be able to compile it
successfully.

By the way, did you try to add the
        -bE:mod_jserv.exp
flag to your link command?  You should be able to successfully link
the library.

The file mod_jserv.exp should contain only a name, the name of the library
that you are supposed to put in your LoadModule stanza of your apache
config file.  In my case (mod_jserv) it is jserv_module.  The name of the
file, evidently, is not relevant, what's important is that it contain the
name of the module you're trying to compile.

Bye!

Denis Benoit
[EMAIL PROTECTED]