browse the archive those recent days/weeks

the secret are:

it is advised to use apache with openssl (mod_ssl or apache+ssl)
as the SSL processor and just configure it
to delegate servlet and JSP to tomcat...
look at http://www.modssl.org/
or http://www.apache-ssl.org/
for explanations, install doc, binaries, advices...

anyway you can make tomcat able to serve SSL directly.
install JSSE from SUN as documented
(detail in some of my former messages here)
this include putting the.jar in a lib or lib/ext directory
as explaine, and twickle some security.properties

create private key in the java keystore, produce a
certificate (externaly or auto-certifies) with CN=the.dns.name.of.my.tomcat
and add the certificate to the java keystore...

modify the server.xml as explained
in come comments... (I've send here a working server.xml)

add some options in TOMCAT_OPTS (in tomcat.bat) so that URL Factory
supports SSL, and JSSE can find the truststore...
set TOMCAT_OPTS=%TOMCAT_OPTS%
      -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore="%TOMCAT_HOME%/../openssl/maui/cacerts"
      -Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol

may the force be with you.
you can do it!
this can work, I've tested !