Thanks, Kief.  I'm still kind of an Ant newbie, but I think I see what
you're doing, and it's pretty cool.  :-)

I'm still confused about the -f option, though.  You're not creating
your server.xml in the shared installation directory, are you?  I
thought tomcat always used $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.xml *unless* you
specified another location with the -f option.  Please clarify.

With regard to the log files, the default server.xml has those Logger
elements outside the ContextManager element.  The docs made me think I
could move them inside the ContextManager element, making the log file
paths relative to its  "home" attribute.  I suppose I can live with
absolute paths for now, though.