I have tomcat 3.2.1 with Apache 1.3.12 running on a Solaris (2.6) box.  Everything
works just fine for normal use.  However, when I crank up a Verity search engine
(vspider) to walk through a document bundle of about 4,500 JSP pages I start to run
into trouble.  Since every document in the bundle is a JSP page, the vspider program
is generating a considerable load on the Apache/Tomcat installation.  After quite a
bit of successful activity (say about a half hour or more of processing), everything
seems to just freeze up.  Looking at top, you can see that the system is at a 100%
iowait state.  Prior to that happening, you can see the tomcat process slowly
allocating more and more memory as it digests all the requests.  When it gets to about
200MB, that's when the system goes into 100% iowait state and tomcat basically stops.

I have increased the memory to tomcat via -Xms and -Xmx flags to 1GB.  I know it's not
running out of memory because I don't see that error message.  I've tried tinkering
with the PoolTcpConnector settings in server.xml to increase the number of threads to
200.  That seemed to make it run faster, but still the deadlock problem.  One bit of
confusion here is the tomcat.properties file.  It has a "pool=false" setting in there
along with a comment that says the Thread pooling may cause deadlock problems.  I
tried it with both true and false settings here, but to no avail.  Oh, one other piece
of information: I'm using the J2SDK 1.3.0.  Any help, hints or pointers would be
greatly appreciated.

thanks,

peter

application/ms-tnef