Howdy,

>How does thread creation/destruction works in Tomcat?

Read the source code.

>Is the total no. of threads in thread pool maintained by Tomcat varies as >load
>varies?

Yes.

>Does Tomcat destroys threads in the pool, if they are idle for the long >time? If
>yes, is there way to ensure that Tomcat didn't kill the idle >threads, ie., once
>created, a thread will never die as long as Tomcat is >running?

Usually no, and that renders the second part of your question irrelevant.

>If I keep Min_no_of_threads = Max_no_of_threads = 20, then can I assume >that Tomcat
>will always use 20 threads?

No.

You have to be more precise: are you talking about request processing threads, or all
threads in the server?  You have control over the former by using the minProcessors
and maxProcessors parameters of a <Connector> element.  The latter you don't control.

Lazy/greedy creation, destruction of idle threads has been discussed in the past: you
can search the archives for more information.  Better yet, if you read the source and
have a gee-whiz enhancement, contribute it ;)

Yoav Shapira

and notify the sender.  Thank you.