That would work too.

We're using an iframe for two reasons.
1). with an iframe, you don't need an addtional frameset page to deal with.
2). In our case the JSP in the IFrame is performing two duties.
        a.) It queries the database for new messages
        b.) It becomes the popup window that informs the user of the new messages.
             Unlike a js alert window, we can actually put links and message subject
             lines right in the popup window this way.

It's also easier to call window.parent.<function to make popup div> from an
iframe then comunicate between sibling frames.

I like your filter idea. If we weren't already using frames for other reasons,
I would go with a solution like that.  It would be much cleaner than putting
include tags at the top of every JSP.

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 12:46 pm, Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> Howdy,
> The HTML probably looks something like this:
> <frameset cols="100%,*">
>   <frame src="/realContentServlet" name="content">
>   <frame src="/dbPingServlet" name="pinger">
> </frameset>
>
> The DB ping servlet checks on the database and if there's a change, its
> output includes javascript to bring up a popup window.
>
> Yoav Shapira
> Millennium ChemInformatics

Ben Souther
F.W. Davison & Company, Inc.

REGISTER NOW FOR THE SCORPEO USER CONFERENCE!
September 18-19, 2003 in Boston/Brookline, MA
Additional Training Sessions held September 17, 2003
More info >> http://www.fwdco.com/services/Uconf03/default.shtm