Using tomcat 4.1.18, I can deploy an application by copying a context configuration file (CCF) to the webapps directory. I can also make changes to the WAR file referenced in the CCF, and Tomcat will notice provided I stop the application first using Tomcat manager and start if afterwards.

However I cannot find a way to have Tomcat see changes in the CCF itself, short of stopping and restarting the container. It seems that once the application is autodeployed the container caches the contents of the CCF. Removing the CCF or changing its contents appears to have no effect.

I would have expected that when the application is stopped and then started the CCF should be re-read to pick up any changes. Is there a way to make this happen?

(By the way I know about the ant deploy task but am exploring alternatives).

Thanks, John.