From: John Turner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 1:24 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Running servlet via SSL???

If anything, it would be https://...:8443

>>From this, I am concluding that Apache is set to run with http or
>>https,
> that Tomcat is configured as "stand alone" -- not via ssl.

Right, but Tomcat's SSL status is irrelevant if you're using Apache and
a connector.  Apache and Tomcat do not "speak" SSL when communicating
with each other.  If you're using SSL with Apache + Tomcat, the only SSL
configuration is done on the Apache side.  You have to remember to add
the appropriate URI mappings for your connector to the SSL virtual host
in httpd.conf.

> So, since I have JDK1.4.x installed,  I am assuming that I just need
> to create the right certificates and configure the server.xml file for

> tomcat to enable Tomcat to work with ssl in stand alone mode.  Right?

Right, but again, this is not needed if you have Apache set to do SSL,
unless you want to do testing using Tomcat alone.

Tomcat SSL HOWTO:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/ssl-howto.html

John