"Madere, Colin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> That is a concrete path and you must be joking if you are suggesting to
> explicitly define each and every URL as a "web-resource".  The idea of
> hierarchical authorization of resources is a very sound idea and other
auth
> schemes follow this "trickle-down" idea that you secure the whole tree
with
> a general user auth (everyone can see it) and then directories beneath
that
> have content specific to groups and are secured as needed.  Any new
> directory added that does not need special treatment is automatically
> secured under the general rule.  Otherwise you'll likely have a heavy
> management burden of your deployment descriptor with 100s of
"web-resource"
> tags.  The spec is shallow here, I hope it will improve in the next
version.

The Servlet 2.4 spec is *very* specific here.  Basically, the
Servlet-Container (aka Tomcat) is required to merge security-constraints.
I've heard rumors on other lists that what exactly the specifics are may
change before the spec goes final, so it may not be what is currently
available as pfd3.  I'm not (personally) on the JCP, so you should treat
this as "rumor and innuendo" ;-).