From: Lott, Carey Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 11:18 AM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: Starting tomcat from init scripts (HP/UX)

Ok, I finally got the script to execute correctly and I got the familiar output:

Using CATALINA_BASE:   /bto/appl/apache/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /bto/appl/apache/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /bto/appl/apache/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       /opt/java1.4

But tomcat still isn't starting, and I am not receiving any other errors.
Also the script executes fine when I do it from command line. I have placed
the start/stop script in /sbin/init.d/. I have made the script be last to
start and first to stop. I couldn't get the script to recognize the env
variables when they were in the rc.config.d directory, so I placed them
directly in the script which seems to have worked, but the process still
isn't starting. Can anybody give me any other ideas as to what could be wrong or what I
could try? Any ideas how I can get a better error information?

Below is the start/stop script - /sbin/init.d/tomcat.  Can you see anything
missing?

Thanks in advance for everybody's input and help.

#!/sbin/sh
# Start/Stop for Tomcat Java Servlet Container
#
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
export PATH

## Source global configuration file
##. /etc/rc.config

# Needed variables

CATALINA_HOME=/bto/appl/apache/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
        export CATALINA_HOME
JAVA_HOME=/opt/java1.4
        export JAVA_HOME
CLASSPATH=/bto/appl/apache/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/common/lib/servlet.jar:/opt/
java1.4/jre/lib/rt.jar:/opt/java1.4/lib/tools.jar:/opt/java1.4/lib/dt.jar:/o
pt/java1.4/lib/htmlconverter.jar:/opt/java1.4/jre/lib/charsets.jar:/opt/java
1.4/jre/lib/javaplugin.jar:/opt/java1.4/jre/lib/ext/dnsns.jar:/opt/java1.4/j
re/lib/ext/localedata.jar:/opt/java1.4/jre/lib/ext/ldapsec.jar:/opt/java1.4/
jre/lib/jce.jar:/opt/java1.4/jre/lib/jsse.jar:.:/bto/appl/apache/jakarta-tom
cat-4.0.4/webapps/esd/WEB-INF/classes:/bto/appl/apache/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/
webapps/esd/WEB-INF/lib:/bto/appl/apache/htdocs/esd/java:/bto/sys/oracle/pro
duct/8.0.6/jdbc/lib/classes111.zip
        export CLASSPATH

case $1 in
        start_msg)
        echo "Starting Tomcat"
                ;;

        'start')
                /bto/appl/apache/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/bin/catalina.sh start

/bto/appl/apache/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/logs/bootlogstart.txt 2>&1 &

;;

        stop_msg)
        echo "Stopping Tomcat"
                ;;

        'stop')
                /bto/appl/apache/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/bin/catalina.sh stop

/bto/appl/apache/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/logs/bootlogstop.txt 2>&1 &

;; esac

exit 0;

<signature>
<name>Carey Lott</name>
<pos>Web Tools Support</pos>
</signature>

<disclaimer> ***** "The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers." </disclaimer>