The threads are request based.

Each Thread services one request at a time.

So store the id at the start of each request in a global
ThreadLocal or a global Hashtable with the thread as key.
Then you can access this id from any method called in the
lifetime of the same request.

If you have several entry points in to your application you
could put this in a servlet filter. (This is a good place to
place such things anyway)