Clarify 'completely'.  If you have no access to writable disk you'll be unable to
produce logs or persist context data under ./work.  I suppose that you could do some
fancy stuff with a RAMdisk, assuming that you are running on an OS that supports this.
 With an out of the box binary set you wouldn't be successful...catalina.sh will fail
when it can't create ./logs/catalina.out.

-chris