Glad you got it working. Incidentally, GNU tar handles all of the GNU software and is 100% compatible with any other archive, even those built using Solaris tar. So, you can avoid this in the future by making sure your path brings in GNU tar ahead of Solaris tar by default. You won't have any problems then and won't notice any difference.

John

Jim Chase wrote:

Bingo.

I must admint I doubted you John. But you were right.
I untarred it with GNU tar and it worked immediately.

Thanks!

Jim

--- John Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Don't use Solaris tar to unpack GNU software. GNU
software requires GNU tar. GNU tar and Solaris tar are incompatible.

Tomcat is a Java application. A binary Java
application is a binary for ALL operating systems, there are no distinctions.

Did you download and install the JDK?

The easiest way to get Tomcat running on Solaris is:

1. download and install the JDK
2. set JAVA_HOME to the location of the JDK from
step #1
3. download the Tomcat binary
4. unpack it to /usr/local
5. set CATALINA_HOME to location of Tomcat
(something like /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27 or
/usr/local/tomcat if you're clever and used ln to link /usr/local/tomcat to
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27)
6. execute $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh
7. view http://localhost:8080

John