From: Pike [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 27 August 2003 00:37
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Webdav and security

Hi Duncan

check this
msg101208.html
see the <http-method> tags specified there ?

if i get it right, you dont want to open the methods GET and POST for
everyone, and after that, you want to restrict all methods
(PUT,DELETE,PROPFIND,etc) to a certain role

does that help ? I havent actually tried this :-)

 >I have included the  org.apache.catalina.servlets.WebdavServlet
> in the web.xml descriptor for my application
>
> <servlet>
>      <servlet-name>WebdavServlet</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.catalina.servlets.WebdavServlet</servlet-
> class
>
>  <servlet-mapping>
>      <servlet-name>WebdavServlet</servlet-name>
>      <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
>   </servlet-mapping>
>
> It all falls down when I try to add security however.
>
> If all requests have to go through the webdav servlet, then if I
> assign the following constraint
>
> <security-constraint>
>      <web-resource-collection>
>         <web-resource-name>The Webdav bit</web-resource-name>
>         <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern> <!-- or just
> <url-pattern>/</url-pattern> -->
>      </web-resource-collection>
>      <auth-constraint>
>         <role-name>somerole</role-name>
>      </auth-constraint>
>    </security-constraint>
>
> this means that no one can see my site unless they log in . Which is
> not
> what I want of course.

goodluck,
*-pike