This is a repost from last week, which got no answers. I've tried to give more & better info here.

I just upgraded from 4.1.24 to 4.1.27 and found that java now
can't find my formatter class which I need for JDK 1.4 logging.

The configuration in the logging.properties file is picked up fine, I established since there is an xml formatter classes in JDK 1.4 which I have tested out and it works fine.

So the problem is definitely that 4.1.27 is now mislaying the reference to my formatter class, presumably when it constructs the class path for java.

I have the formatter class in tomcat's common/classes directory.
Switching back to 4.1.24, it still works.

I've tried placing my class in server/classes, in shared/classes and
also in WEB-INF/classes for a particular webapp, with no joy. Does
anybody have any idea what I can do?

thanks Adam

ps in both 4.1.24 and 27 I am using the LE binaries. I have also tried it with the old commons-logging.jar and with the latest jar - not that it should affect it, but I've been trying everything in desperation.

-- struts 1.1 + tomcat 4.1.27 + java 1.4.2 Linux 2.4.20 RH9